What Is Probate in Connecticut?
When a loved one dies, there are many difficult emotions and challenges that follow. The probate process is one of the most common issues that people deal with after an individual has passed away. What is probate? It is basically the legal process in which a deceased’s estate is handled and distributed.
The following will happen during probate:
- A person’s will must be reviewed and proved valid (if they have one)
- All assets and property will be inventoried
- The inventoried property will be appraised
- Proper taxes and debts will be paid
- The remaining property will be distributed as the will directs
In cases where there is no will, state law will determine how assets and property are divided and distributed. The process includes a variety of paperwork, court appearances, and other details.
Do I Need a Lawyer for Probate?
Probate can be time consuming, frustrating, and often overwhelming for individuals who have just lost a loved one. When you have a lawyer step in and handle all the paperwork and legal matters for you, it can take a great deal of stress off of your shoulders. Having a New Canaan probate attorney on hand can also ensure that an estate is handled correctly.
You may need a legal advocate to dispute the following:
- Asset distribution plan by the court
- Allegations of an incorrect or invalid will
- Estate debts that creditors claim are owed to them
- Provisions of a trust or will
Our firm can guide you through the probate process and ensure that matters are resolved fairly and appropriately. With legal counsel on your side, you can rest assured knowing your loved one’s estate will be distributed as they wished.
Past Personal Injury Verdicts & Settlements
Ready to get started?
Contact us today, for a complimentary & confidential case evaluation.Get Help Now