What You Need to Know About Accidents Involving Uninsured Motorists Banner

It’s a nightmare scenario for every driver: You’re in a serious collision, only to discover that the other motorist doesn’t carry insurance coverage.

No insurance coverage isn’t the only problem motorists face, however — there’s also the problem of underinsured drivers.

Fortunately, there are steps you can take to help recover your losses, both through your insurer and with the help of an attorney.

Let’s take a closer look at how uninsured and underinsured motorist incidents work, and what you need to know about how Connecticut law applies to these situations.

The Facts about Uninsured and Underinsured Claims

The state of Connecticut requires motorists to carry a minimum level of insurance coverage. Right now, these minimums are:

  • $25,000 per person for personal injury liability
  • $50,000 per accident for personal injury liability
  • $25,000 for property damage

It should be noted that motorists can choose to exceed these state-mandated minimums. In many cases, it makes more sense to buy a policy with higher limits. If you are found liable for a crash that results in injuries that exceed your policy limits, you may be sued for the difference.

The same principle applies with uninsured or underinsured motorists. Connecticut requires that all residents maintain uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage with at least $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident minimums.

How This Coverage Works

If you need to make a claim under your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, your own insurance company will be the entity paying out your claim. This covers injuries or losses sustained by the policyholder, family members and passengers.

Much as with conventional liability policies, it often makes sense to buy an uninsured/underinsured policy with higher coverage. If your policy only covers $50,000 — and your injuries exceed that figure — your policy will not cover the full amount.

In these scenarios, the next step is simple: Consulting with an experienced Connecticut personal injury attorney.

The right attorney can help you pursue full compensation from the at-fault driver, should the policy coverage prove insufficient.

Contact Brickley Law today for a free consultation and learn more about how these cases work, and what you can do to protect yourself.

Free Case Evaluation